University of Havana, Havana, Cuba, from May 31 to June 03, 2022
Located at the entrance to the Gulf of Mexico in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, The Republic of Cuba is actually an archipelago comprised by the Isle of Youth (a special municipality) and 4 195 keys and islets for a total area of 110 860 Km2. Its neighboring countries are Haiti, United States, Jamaica and Mexico.
The weather is always mellow in Cuba. This hospitable and multi-ethnic country is blessed with a sunny tropical climate and a mean annual temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. The average temperature in summer is 27 degrees C and 21 degrees in winter. December, January and February are the coolest months while July and August are the warmest.
- Official name: Republic of Cuba.
- Capital: Havana City, with a population of 2´ 200, 000 inhabitants.
- Official language: Spanish.
- Area: 110,860 Km2 (42, 843 square miles)
- Population: 11´ 200, 000 inhabitants. (Demographic density =101 inhabitants x Km2).
- Ethnic Composition: 60% Spanish descendents, 22% mulattos and mixed, 11% African descendents and 1% Chinese descendents.
- National Holiday: January 1st
- National Anthem: Himno de Bayamo (Hymn of Bayamo) by Perucho Figueredo).
- Religion: 47% Catholics, 4% Protestants, 2% Santeria and other African cults also practiced by many Catholics.
- Political regimen: Socialist Republic.
- Head of State and Government: Miguel Díaz-Canel.
- GDP: $ 20 billions USD.
- PIB per capita: $USD 1.786
- Annual growth: 2.5%.
- Leading industries: Sugar, mining, tobacco, agriculture, pharmaceuticals and tourism.
- Leading Trade Partners: Western Europe, Latin America, Russia, China.
- Currency: Cuban peso (CUP).
- Political-Administrative Division: Cuba is divided into 15 provinces and a special municipality Isle of Youth (formerly Isle of Pines).
- Climate: Sub-tropical and humid, with two distinctive seasons: dry (winter) from November through April and rainy (summer) from May through October. The mean annual temperature is 25° C, with an average of 20º C in winter and 26-27º C in summer.